Thursday, March 21, 2013

Taking the Taste of Miami Back Home (Guest Post)

Thursday - 3.21.2013

Guest Post by Kendra Thornton
Follow her on Twitter @KendraThornton
Some of the best memories I have from my past are when my husband and I ventured to Miami. When our stay at the fabulous Fontainebleau, ranked amongst some of the top hotels in Miami, came to an end I really didn't want to leave. I wanted to take some of those memories and the spirit of our fabulous trip back home with me to share with my family and friends.
It just so happened that I had this decadent dessert during my trip to Miami and I wouldn’t leave the restaurant until I got the recipe! I was so happy that I took it home and hope you are able to enjoy this treat just as much as my family and I do. I have found that some of the best memories I have from my travels come from the conversations and laughter over a great meal. This easy to make Key Lime Pie is worth it!
Key Lime Pie Recipe:

Start with the crust:

Melt about 1/4 cup of butter, or enough to make your crust stick together. Crush between six and nine graham crackers, depending on the size of your pie plate, into fine crumbs. Mix with the butter and throw in a pinch of sugar. You only want enough sugar to make a little bit sweet. Then press the crust mixture into your pie plate and bake for about 10 minutes at 350ºF. Let it cool to room temperature.

For the filling:

3 egg yolks (no whites)
1 to 2 cans sweetened condensed milk, depending on size of the pie shell
1 cup or more key lime juice, again depending on size of pie shell

Beat the egg yolks together until smooth and blend well with the sweetened condensed milk. You won't ever need two full cans, so I save the extra from the second can for other baking. Sometimes I make two Key Lime Pies at once, using three cans of milk. Stir in a little key lime juice at a time until it tastes just right. Be sure to put in enough to give it a little tart kick.

Pour the filling into the pie shell. Preheat your oven and bake the pie at 325ºF for 20-25 minutes. Be very careful not to overcook it. Cool your pie on a rack for 10-15 minutes. Then refrigerate until ready to serve. Do your best not to eat it all at once!
Get your own signature!


My wonderful sponsors this week are:


Don't forget to VOTE for me on PicketFenceBlogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment